Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Q: I read an article that stated the amount of periodontal disease among adults over age 30 was worse than anyone thought. I also heard more adults are getting braces. Are these two facts related?

Dr Herman's Answer: The study found that 47% of adults over age 30 have some form of periodontal disease. Mild, moderate and severe rates were 8.7%, 30.0% and 8.5% respectively. The AAO and AAP put out a joint recommendation that undiagnosed periodontitis can worsen with orthodontic treatment, and orthodontists should be prepared to deal with this complication. For this reason, I have a periodontal health department within my orthodontic practice. I am prepared to diagnose and treat most periodontal conditions before or during orthodontic treatment. Call 1-800-4-BRACES for a free consultation.

No comments:

Post a Comment