Monday, February 17, 2014

I have noticed that my son has bleeding gums from poor brushing. He has braces and has a year of treatment remaining. His orthodontist seems concerned. Should I should end treatment and try later when my son's oral hygiene improves?

It is a difficult decision for me to discontinue active treatment due to poor dental hygiene. I want to get you the finished result as does the parent and child. At my office, my team and I would have frank conversation with you about your son's poor home care. My recommendation could be to continue treatment but leave the wires out for two to four weeks for better cleaning. I would place your son on an antimicrobial mouth rinse to help reduce bacteria levels and high fluoride prescription toothpaste to help prevent white spots. If these measures fail to get the gingivitis under control, then I would recommend temporarily suspending active treatment by removing braces.

No comments:

Post a Comment