Wednesday, January 7, 2015

My 7 year old son is getting bullied at school because his front teeth stick out. Should I start braces early to help reduce the bullying?

I am asked your question frequently. Bullying behavior about dentofacial features is widespread and has been for years. Before making a decision about early treatment, I recommend you ask yourself these questions: How bad is the dentofacial problem? How much is the bullying affecting the child? How much is the bullying worrying you as the parent? I do recommend early treatment for psycho-social reasons. When I do this treatment the goal is very specific: align the four front teeth, place a wired retainer behind the teeth, then let the child grow another year or two and reevaluate if further treatment is required.

No comments:

Post a Comment