Monday, December 29, 2014

I took my child to an orthodontist for a consultation. Before my son saw the doctor he had two x-rays taken, a panoramic x-ray and a cone beam x-ray. I didn’t think this was necessary. Is that typical?

As a parent, I would also express concern with two x-rays during an initial consultation. I understand the need for a recent panoramic x-ray, as that is typically needed for exams. My concern is unnecessary exposure to radiation. I believe a cone beam x-ray or a cephalometric x-ray should only be taken after the initial exam if the doctor feels it is necessary. There should be a difference between protocol for an initial exam and protocol for final diagnosis records. The latter is done after the doctor determines there is a need for additional records and has discussed it with the parent.

No comments:

Post a Comment